Yesterday on the House Floor, Congressman Howard Berman, Ranking Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, spoke about the importance of the International Affairs Budget and why the Republicans’ proposed budget cuts threaten American national security.
According to Congressman Berman, the proposed cuts by the GOP would:
• Scale back weapons and training to build the capacity of key partners in the fight against terror, such as Yemen, Pakistan, and the Philippines.
• Restrict financing for the purchase of U.S. military equipment to ensure Israel’s qualitative military edge
• Limit defense items and services that enable other countries to cooperate with us on counter-terrorism efforts
• Put an end to the “civilian surge” in Afghanistan, leaving the military to perform civilian jobs
• Impede efforts to train Iraqi police and security forces
To read his full statement, click here.