Below is a schedule of key events from the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Summit, the UN General Assembly and the Clinton Global Initiative – all occurring this week. Please note, not included are Plenary Sessions for the UN MDG Summit and the General Assembly meetings:
Monday, September 20
- UN MDG Summit: Poverty, Hunger, and Gender Equality Roundtable 10:00-1:00 PM
Tuesday, September 21
- UN MDG Summit: Promoting Sustainable Development Roundtable 10:00-1:00 PM
- Clinton Global Initiative: Opening Plenary Session 10:00-11:30 AM
- President Bill Clinton, Founding Chairman, 42nd President; Melinda French Gates, Co-Chair and Trustee, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Tarja Halonen, President of the Republic of Finland; Bob McDonald, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, Procter & Gamble; and Eric Schmidt, Chairman of the Board and CEO, Google,INC.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Economic Empowerment Lunch 12:00-1:00 PM
- Matther Bishop, Business Editor and New York Bureau Chief, The Economist; Jennifer Granholm, Governor of the State of Michigan; and Rajiv Shah, USAID Administrator.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Empowering Women and Girls 1:30-2:30 PM
- Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State; Katie Couric, Anchor and Managing Editor, CBS Evening News; Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of the Republic of Liberia; and Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO, The Coca-Cola Company.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Preparing Girls for the World 3:00-4:00 PM
- Madeleine K. Albright, Chair, Albright Stonebridge Group; Shelly Esque, Vice President, Corporate Affairs and President, Intel Foundation, Intel Corporation; Helene D. Gayle, President, CARE USA; Tanvi Girotra, Founder, Becoming I – The Foundation; G(irls)20 2010 Delegate; Nick Kristof, Columnist, The New York Times; and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Managing Director, The World Bank.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Securing the Health and Safety of Girls and Women 3:00-4:00 PM
- Angelique Kidjo, Grammy Winning Singer; Goodwill Ambassador, UNICEF; Co-Founder, Batonga Foundation; Tina Brown, Founder and Editor in Chief, The Daily Beast; Gary Cohen, Executive Vice President, BD; Geeta Rao Gupta, Senior Fellow, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Richard C. Holbrooke , Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, U.S. Department of State; and Ashley Judd, Board Member, Population Services International.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Community-led Development in Conflict Areas 4:30-6:00 PM
- Featuring Eric P. Schwartz, Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration; and Ashraf Ghani, Chairman and Co-Founder, Institute for State Effectiveness.
- Clinton Global Initiative: A Shared Commitment: Innovative HIV/AIDS Programs and Partnerships 7:00-9:00 PM (topic dinner)
- Eric Goosby, US Global AIDS Coordinator; Jane Nelson, Director, Corporate Responsibility Initiatives; Jessica Justman, International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Programs; Charles MacCormack, President, Save the Children; and John Tedstrom, President and CEO, GBC.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Investing in Women and Girls 7:00-9:00 PM (topic dinner)
- Melanne Verveer, Ambassador-at-large for Global Women’s Issues; Ruth Simmons, President, Brown University; Nick Kristof, Columnist, The New York Times; Jennifer Buffet, President and Co-Chair, NoVo Foundation; Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Managing Director, The World Bank; Zainab Salbi, Founder and CEO, Women for Women International; and Christy Turlington Burns, Advocate for Maternal Health, CARE.
Wednesday, September 22
- UN MDG Summit: Widening and Strengthening Partnerships Roundtable 2:00-5:00 PM
- Clinton Global Initiative: Strengthening Market-based Solutions 9:00-10:00 AM
- Robert E. Diamond Jr., President and Chief Executive designate, Barclays PLC; Thomas L. Friedman, Foreign Affairs Columnist, The New York Times; Leila Janah, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Samasource; Valerie B. Jarrett, Senior Advisor and Assistant to the President for Intergovernmental Affairs and Public Engagement, The White House; Fadi Ghandour, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Aramex International; and Iqbal Quadir, Founder and Director, Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship; Professor of Practice, MIT.
- Clinton Global Initiative: Special Session: Building Partnerships to Empower the World’s Smallholder Farmers 3:30-4:30 PM
- Hal Hamilton, Co-Director, Sustainable Food Lab; Tensie Whelan, President, Rainforest Alliance; Jim Carrey, Actor and Founder, Better U Foundation; David Griswold, Founder and President, Sustainable Harvest Coffee Importers; Safira Gerald Lazaro Gwimo, Coffee Quality Control Manager, Kanyovu Coffee Cooperative; Howard Shapiro, Global Director of Plant Science and External Research, Mars Incorporated; and Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- US MDG Summit: President Obama Remarks 4:30-5:30 (rumored)
Thursday, September 23
- UN General Assembly: President Obama Remarks 10:00- 10:40 AM (rumored)
- Clinton Global Initiative: The Recovery in Haiti 2:00-3:30 PM
- Jean-Max Bellerive, Prime Minister, Republic of Haiti; President Bill Clinton, Founding Chairman, Clinton Global Initiative; 42nd President of the United States; Magalie Noel Dresse, President, Caribbean Craft Haiti; Adam Goldstein, President and Chief Executive Officer, Royal Caribbean International; Maryse P. Kedar, Director, Progress and Development Foundation; Mati Kochavi, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, AGT; and Denis O’Brien, Chairman, Digicel.
- Clinton Global Intiative: Closing Plenary Session 4:00-5:00 PM
- President Barack Obama; President Bill Clinton; and Bill Gates, Co-Chair and Trustee, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.