FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 11, 2010
Press Office: 202-712-4320
Public Information: 202-712-4810
WASHINGTON, D.C. – USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah is pleased to announce that the following individuals recently joined the Agency:
- Sean Carroll, Chief of Staff – In this role, Mr. Carroll will be part of the Agency’s leadership team, with responsibilities for managing the front office, interagency issues, core strategic and operational priorities, strategic internal and external communications and other Chief of Staff functions, working closely with the USAID Administrator. Mr. Carroll comes to USAID from the Club of Madrid, where he served as Program Director since 2004. Previously, Mr. Carroll was Senior Fellow and Director at the Inter-American Dialogue, as well as a Consultant to the United Nations/World Food Program. He has also served as Professional Staff and Subcommittee Director on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on International Relations; and, over 13 years, held various positions at the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI).
- Amie Batson, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Global Health – As Deputy Assistant Administrator for Global Health, Ms. Batson will serve as USAID’s Deputy of the Global Health Initiative with responsibility for overall coordination of USAID’s work in support of this important endeavor. Ms. Batson joins USAID after a 20-year career in global health that has included positions in the WHO, UNICEF, and most recently, the World Bank as Assistant to the Managing Director. Notably, as one of the original drivers behind the creation of the Global Alliance for Vaccines & Immunization (GAVI), she led the World Bank’s efforts in vaccine financing.
- Ruth Levine, Director of Evaluation, Policy Analysis & Learning – Ms. Levine will build a team to strengthen the Agency’s ability to learn from program implementation, and to link the best available evidence to decision-making for greater effectiveness and better informed policy. Ms. Levine was most recently Vice President for Programs and Operations and Senior Fellow at the Center for Global Development. Ms. Levine is an internationally recognized health economist with over 15 years experience designing and assessing the effects of social sector programs in Latin America, Eastern Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia.
- Alex Dehgan, Science and Technology (S&T) Advisor – Dr. Dehgan will be the focal point for implementing the Administrator’s vision to restore science and technology to its rightful place within USAID and ensure that USAID is the global leader on employing science, technology, and research to help solve traditional and persistent development challenges. Prior to USAID, Dr. Dehgan was a Senior Scientist and Policy Advisor with the Science Advisor to the Secretary of State. Dr. Dehgan also served as a Senior Adviser to the Special Adviser for the Gulf and South West Asia, as well as the liaison to Ambassador Holbrooke and the Office of the Special Representative to the President for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Tom Garwin, Senior Advisor on Impact Planning – Mr. Garwin will offer expertise and guidance on a variety of complex government programs, policies, management processes, and analytic methods of particular interest to the Administrator. Prior to coming to USAID, Mr. Garwin was the first Director of Impact Planning and Improvement at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. He has also been an independent consultant in the areas of strategy, evaluation, measurement, and organizational performance.